Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hotel Bilhartz, Arizona 6/13 - 6/15/09

HE SAID:
We were both very surprised to find a humungous forest in the middle of the desert. Up high in the mountains we saw rocks with the most vibrant red colors and trees with a thousand shades of green on them. Desiree feels like she’s on Big Thunder Mountain and is desperately hoping an elk will cross our path but no luck so far.

We stopped for lunch at the Heart Attack Grill, a small burger joint modeled after a hospital (pictures in my facebook profile). The waitresses are called “Nurses” and are dressed in naughty nurse outfits to serve the customers (called patients), and when you place your order, the will put a patient wristband around you with your order. Their menu is a very simple one, there are only burgers named after heart surgeries: Bypass, Double Bypass, Triple Bypass and Quadruple Bypass. Instead of a salad bar, they have an all you can eat French Fry bar called flat-liner fries. I had a Triple Bypass, and with the order of it, you get to wear a patient gown while you eat, and if you finish the burger, the “Nurse” will wheelchair you out to your car. Of course I finished it and enjoyed the wheelchair ride with the hot "nurse" out to the car. It was so delicious and disgusting at the same time because the fries are cooked in lard, and the burger buns are coated with lard also, you can almost literally feel your arteries clog up with every bite you take. Desiree attempted to eat a Bypass, but after one greasy bite, decided to take the meat out of the burger and just have a grilled cheese with lard covered burger buns (don’t tell the nurse, or she’ll get spanked!). They were very proud of the fact that they had probably the unhealthiest burgers in the state if not the country. Brent and Kaitlin were good sports and tried to join in, but will probably be OK not eating burgers for a very long time (just like Des).

Chandler was filled with sunshine and warm temperatures, a refreshing pool, good friends, good food, good drinks with a dash of baby and a side of Kike. It was good to take a day and just relax by the pool with drinks in hand and not have a care in the world. The road trip is starting to feel real, but we’re still comparing things to our “home” in L.A., wonder when that will end. Desiree has come to terms with the fact the she will have to change her favorites on her radio buttons to different stations (she’s a little sad about it).

Until next time!
Mario

SHE SAID:
The drive to Chandler, Arizona was long and full of sand. I could not wait for it to end. Luckily, we were heading to the house of my oldest friend, Kaitlin. We have actually know each other since we were 6 years old playing on the Panther's AYSO soccer team. Crazy, huh?? It was so good to see her and experience her day-to-day.

The first night there, we headed into Downtown for a bite and drink at the local brewery. Why is it Mario and I can find a brewery in any city without even trying???? The food was good, and company even better. The next day was spent laying out by the pool, relaxing, bbq'ing, and swimming. It had to be in the high 90's, but some reason, it didn't feel that hot. I even got a slight tan. I'm on my way to becoming a true Californian, prior to arriving in Boston. Can't disappoint them with my white legs. That night, K8, Lucy, and I watched the sunset. It was just as beautiful as I had hoped. The sky changed such amazing colors. Definitely made the day complete.

As Mario mentioned, we went to the Heart Attack Grill the next day before leaving town. Yes, I did try to eat a single patty. Definitely not for me. It was hilarious to see Mario eating his three patties in a hospital robe though. I swear he was going to puke at least once or twice. The best part was the nurse pushing him out to the car. You're going to die when you see the photos.

I do want to put a special note on here for K8, Brent, & Lucy- if you are reading this. Thank you so much for everything! We had such a great time! The trip would not have been the same thus far without you.

Kike kicking it in the pool
Kaitlin & Brent
Des & Sweet Lucy
The Start of the Dessert Sunset
Mario's Fearless Feat
The "Nurse" & her Patient

1 comment:

  1. Dez! I would recommend you drive. Seeing the pictures of Mario eating that burger makes me think that it is only a matter of time till his heart decides to go on strike. Heck, just looking at the picture of that burger is making my heart hurt. I've been told it plans on going on strike if I even consider attempting to eat something that heart clogging. But heck, if I get to be wheeled out by a nurse like that, I don't think I would mind. I can do without the gown though. =) I'm glad you guys are having a good road trip. I'm looking forward to hearing about the Hostel. LOL!

    ReplyDelete